A Handy Move-Out Checklist from Scripps Poway Self-Storage
Moving is a stressful affair, but there are some things you can do to make it a little easier on yourself. Whether you’re moving out of an apartment or a home, Scripps Poway Self Storage wants to lessen the burden. Below, you’ll find some helpful moving tips and hacks, as well as a handy move-out checklist to make sure you’re ready for your next move. In the meantime, if you need a self-storage unit or moving supplies in the Poway, CA area, be sure to give us a call!
Apartment Moving Tips to Help You Get Your Deposit Back
Moving out of an apartment can be just as daunting as moving out of a house, sometimes more so when you’re nervous about getting your security deposit back. Here’s a move-out checklist for tenants to follow to avoid issues with their landlord:
- Know When Your Lease Expires – If you plan to move out of your apartment, knowing when the lease expires is essential. You should also ask how much advance notice needs to be given and what cleaning protocol is required to secure your deposit. Most apartment complexes require at least one month’s written notice and will ask you to clean the floors, counters, walls, appliances, toilets, and more upon move-out.
- Assess Any Apartment Damages – You’ll need to evaluate your apartment for any signs of damage and make arrangements with your landlord for any necessary repairs.
- Get a Change of Address Form – A change of address form is available with a quick visit to the post office or their website. This is necessary to ensure your mail forwards correctly.
- Notify the Utility Companies – All of the utility companies (gas, water, electric, internet, phone, etc.) need to be notified to transfer your services to your new address. You’ll also need to alert your bank, employer, insurance company, physician, and any other relevant people. Depending on your plans, you may need to make amendments to your renter’s insurance policy or cancel your coverage altogether.
- Pack and Make Arrangements – You’d be amazed at how much clutter will fit inside an apartment. Be sure to give yourself ample time to declutter, pack, organize, clean, and make the arrangements for your move. If you need a moving truck, discuss access with your landlord. If you need help moving, ask your friends or family or call a moving company well in advance. We also recommend packing a separate overnight bag with your toiletries and must-have items, so you don’t have to go through boxes at the new place to find your toothbrush or pajamas.
- Be Present for the Final Inspection – Ask when the final walk-through inspection with your landlord will be, so that you can be present. This is the time to document the apartment’s condition when you move out and to return your keys. Be sure to ask when you can expect to receive your final statement and security deposit.
A Move-Out Checklist for Harried Homeowners in Poway, CA
A successful move begins with careful planning and execution. Once your home sells, and you know when moving day is, here’s a move-out checklist for homeowners to follow:
- Declutter, and Then Declutter Again – Save yourself time on moving day by decluttering your home and purging items you no longer want or need. Start with your closets, basement, attic, or garage and work your way from room to room. Plan to donate certain items to charity or host a garage sale to get rid of belongings with resale value. Ensure your entire family is involved to make it feel less daunting. Decluttering is also beneficial during the home-selling process.
- Pack and Organize Items by Room – If you remember to organize and pack your items by room, you’ll thank yourself later when sorting boxes at the new address. Don’t forget to pack a separate overnight bag with essentials for your first night in your new home, such as your toothbrush, medications, and at least one change of clothing for every member of the family.
- Complete a Change of Address Form – Stop by your local post office or visit their website to complete a change of address form. This ensures your mail forwards to your new address.
- Notify Utility Companies and More – You’ll need to notify all of your utility companies and transfer services to the new address. Be sure to also let your bank, doctor, employer, insurance company, and any other relevant people know about your change of address. If you need movers or a moving truck, make those arrangements at least a month before the big day.
- Store Your Belongings Temporarily – Sometimes moves don’t go as planned. You may find yourself needing to rent a hotel room for a few days or weeks until your new home is ready. Not to worry; you can store all of your items temporarily in a storage unit at Scripps Poway Self Storage. Storing your items in one of our units also allows you to move at your own pace. You won’t feel as harried on moving day knowing everything is secure in your storage unit.
All the Right Moving Supplies for the Next Chapter in Your Life
Moving is less cumbersome when you have the right moving supplies. Scripps Poway Self Storage is proud to be your one-stop shop for moving supplies in Poway, CA. We have everything you need, including bubble wrap, wrapping paper, furniture covers, mattress bags, and more. If you need a moving truck, we also offer easy-loading U-Haul truck rentals at our facility.
Rent One of Our Clean Self-Storage Units to Make Moving Easy
Established in 2000, Scripps Poway Self Storage offers U-Haul truck rentals, moving supplies, and self-storage units to help you make your next move less of a hassle. Our full-service storage facility has a unit size available for every need, ranging from locker storage units to commercial-size units. You won’t have to worry about the security of your belongings thanks to our 24-hour video surveillance and gate access. Please contact our facility today to reserve your unit and be sure to ask about our monthly specials!